How to Keep your Home Fire Safe!

13 April 2019 Student houses

How to Keep your Home Fire Safe!

 

Moving away to university can seem like a big step for your independence, with no parents or family to shout at you for leaving your candles on or those fairy lights on 24/7. Although it seems like you can do what you want when you want now, its so important to make sure you and your housemates are being as sensible and safe as possible, especially when it comes to fire safety. House fires killed 334 people in 2018 alone, including an estimated 71 in the tragic Grenfell Tower fire, so its better to be on the safe side.

 

DO-

  • Keep fire doors closed when not in use; they’re there for a reason
  • Learn where fire extinguishers, blankets and escape routes are located in case of emergencies. Make sure you know how to use them!
  • Try using LED tealights and candles instead of the real thing, they give off a more calming glow, last longer and are much lower risk.
  • Make sure you’re checking and cleaning out the filter in your dryer before and after every use, if it gets clogged up it won’t dry your clothes properly and could cause a fire, especially when left unattended.
  • Regularly check fire and smoke detectors to make sure they’re working. If it beeps often it’s likely the batteries need changing if its not mains linked; if this occurs or you spot anything else unusual don’t hesitate to let us know and we’ll fix it as soon as possible.
  • Keep all exits, hallways and emergency access points free from obstruction in case of any emergencies.
  • Check your appliances (such as cookers, microwaves and washing machines) and report any issues or anything unusual to us straight away. Faulty appliances can be very dangerous so its best to get any changes checked out on top of our annual PAT and safety testing.

 

 

DON’T-

  • Don’t burn candles in the property under any circumstances, all it takes is you to not pay attention for a second and it could fall or get knocked. Over 1000 fires a year are caused by candles!
  • Do not leave cooking unattended! This means don’t wander off for a shower or a nap whilst your tea is cooking, stay in the same room until its done.
  • Don’t cook under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or when you’re extremely tired. You’re much more likely to make stupid mistakes such as leaving the hob, which could end in disaster. Just get a takeaway instead.
  • Avoid overloading plug sockets or extension leads with too many things for it to handle. Only plug in what you need and try not to leave phone/laptop chargers plugged in all the time, as they can easily overheat and explode.
  • If you have any electric or space heaters in the house, don’t leave them unattended under any circumstances. Make sure they aren’t covered by anything and have enough space around them away from any furniture or furnishings.