Since we at Abbey Student Rentals do not provide student insurance with our rent, and neither do our landlords, it is worth looking into getting your contents and gadgets covered during your studies. To help you along the way, we have put together some information on insuring your valuables at university.

Do I need student insurance?

It is always a good idea to insure your belongings. Could you afford to replace your personal laptop if it were to break? What about your smartphone? If not, then you should definitely consider taking out an insurance policy. Insurance can protect you from unforeseen costs due to loss, breakage, or theft, and gives you extra piece of mind so that you can get on with your studies, stress free.

How can I take out an insurance policy?

There are a couple of options available. Firstly, you could check to see if your parents’ home contents insurance could be extended to cover you. However, if this is not the case, then you will have to take out your own insurance.

We recommend Endsleigh, the UK’s leading student insurance company. It is also the only insurance company recommended by the NUS. They offer some great rates and have been working alongside students for over 50 years, so you know that you will be in good hands. Check out their student insurance page to see what their policies cover and get a quick online quote. (They currently have a 10% discount on gadget cover)

What does student insurance cover?

With Endsleigh, you have great flexibility. Their policies allow you to add whatever items you wish to the policy – no ‘bulk’ coverage for things that you do not need! You can even add coverage for your tuition fees, keys, and for rent protection, and you are protected whether you live in halls or a shared house. Other companies are also available, but you will need to read the coverage information because each insurer will have different policies.

What about insurance for international students?

Endsleigh’s got you covered. International student insurance covers medical costs that are not covered on the NHS, property and legal damages, and course fees should you become unable to continue with your degree. This policy type covers you for 4 months per policy period. Once it expires, you can simply repurchase it if you need more time. Easy.

For more information about student insurance policies, please do not hesitate to contact us.