Abbey Rentals Ltd “Abbey Student Rentals” (“we”, “us” or “our” in this privacy notice) is a student letting agency based in Chester.
1. What information do we collect and how do we collect it?
A: Prospective Tenants
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual, such as:
- Your name
- Your mobile number
- Your email address
When you enquire through our website, email or call to arrange a house viewing, we will collect the above information. This data is collected for the sole purpose of contacting you to arrange the viewing and send you more information about the property of interest.
If a property is not suitable or no longer available, we will verbally ask your permission to retain these details to contact you if another house becomes available. You can change these details at any time or request them to be deleted off our system.
Once you have chosen a house, the reservation and signing process begins. In the office, all tenants will complete a ‘Room Reservation Form’ and on this you will be asked to disclose the following personal information:
- Your full name
- Your mobile number
- Your email address
- Your Guarantor’s email address
- Your Guarantor’s mobile number
Your name, number and email are essential for the Assured Tenancy Agreements created through StuRents and are also imperative for us to be able to contact you about matters relating to your Tenancy with us. We also collect your Guarantor’s basic contact information at this stage as a back-up mode of contact for you.
Once you receive your Tenancy Agreement you will be asked to provide the following further personal data:
- Your home postal address
- Your date of birth
- Your Nationality
- Your University Number and year of study
- A form of photographic ID (Passport)
It is Company Policy that all tenants must have a UK-Based Guarantor (This is usually a parent). When you fill in your online Tenancy Agreement, you will need to input their email address which will automatically send the contract on to them. Guarantor’s will be asked to provide the following information on the Tenancy Agreement:
- Full name
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Postal address
- Address history
- Date of birth
- Residential status
- Employment status and Employer
- A form of photographic ID (Passport)
2. What do we do with the information we collect?
We will only use your personal data when strictly necessary and when the law allows us to. This means we will only use the information to fulfil and abide by the contract that both parties have signed. The key example of this is:
To contact you
- We will input your data (Name, mobile and email address) into our booking software which enables us to give all tenants reasonable notice when a viewing is taking place or a contractor is gaining access to the property.
- We will also email or call you regarding any matters relating to finances and rent when necessary.
- If the tenant has defaulted on their rent and is not responding, we will then contact the Guarantor.
Without the provision of your personal information we shall be unable either to manage a property for you or let a property to you.
3. How and where do we store this data?
Keeping your data secure is our main priority. We have implemented physical and procedural access controls in our workplace, which limit access to data to those with a genuine need to operate our procedures.
This is how we store it:
- Paper documents such as your reservation form are stored in the office in a locked filing cabinet, whereby only authorised members of staff have access. The office also has a security camera, alarm and shutters when we are closed.
4. Who do we share this data with?
Abbey Student Rentals not only own and manage a huge amount of properties, but also provide a ‘Let Only’ service for Landlords. When a house falls into this category, we conduct viewings and sign up tenants for the property, however once the term commences the tenants communicate directly with their Landlord regarding all house relating matters such as key collection, maintenance and rent.
Your Tenancy Agreements and thus personal data will be passed onto your Landlord before the commencement of your fixed term for the Landlord to be able to fulfil his contracted duties.
B: Ten Ten Systems
This company’s role within Abbey Rentals is to provide us with IT support services to allow us to maintain our internal systems and maintain control over our internal security measures and practices.
The platform we use to create all our Tenancy Agreements is highly secure and is GDPR compliant.
Abbey Student Rentals do not use your data for marketing purposes and will only contact you regarding your Tenancy or related matters. We will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
In some circumstances, we may have to disclose your personal information by law, because a court or the police or another law enforcement agency has asked us for it.
5. How long do we keep your data for?
We will keep your Tenancy Agreements on record for 6 years.
We review our data retention periods regularly and will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose or relevant activity it was collected for, or as required by law (we may be legally required to hold some types of information), or as set out in any relevant contract we have with you.
If we suspect a breach of our security measures, where your personal data may have been compromised, we will inform the ICO within 72 hours as per the GDPR guidelines.
6. How to access, amend and delete your personal data
At any time, you can request an electronic (PDF) or paper copy of your reservation form or Tenancy Agreement and we will send this over to you or make it available for collection at the office in less than a week.
If any of your personal information has changed or you believe it to be incorrect, we urge you to get in touch with us straight away on email@example.com so that we can update our records.
If you are not a tenant or have not been within the past 6 years and you are receiving communication from us, please get in touch and we will remove your details from our system,
7. Your rights
You have a number of rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you. These include the right to:
- Be informed about how we use your personal information;
- Obtain access to your personal information that we hold;
- Request that your personal information is corrected if you believe it is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate;
- Request that we erase your personal information, if:
We continue to process personal information beyond the period when it is necessary to do so for the purpose for which it was originally collected;
Our legal basis for processing your information is consent and you withdraw your consent;
Our legal basis for processing your information is that we have a legitimate interest and you believe this not to be the case;
You believe we have processed your information unlawfully;
It is necessary to delete the personal information to comply with a legal obligation;
- Ask us to restrict our information processing activities where you consider that:
Personal information is inaccurate;
Our processing of your personal information is unlawful;
Where we no longer need the personal information but you require us to keep it to enable you to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim;
Where you have raised an objection to our use of your personal information;
- Object to our processing of your personal information where we are relying on legitimate interests to make the processing lawful;
- Not to be subject to wholly automated decisions which produce legal effects or which could have a similarly significant effect on you;
- Change any preferences about how we use your information;
- Remove your consent to receiving any marketing communications from us.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights above please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Changes to this policy